Pearl Harbor

Wednesday we decided to go to Pearl Harbor to allow our sun burns to heal a little more. We also allowed ourselves to sleep in since we got in so late from PCC. I was a-okay with sleeping in!

We drove about an hour and finally made it there. We didn't get tickets ahead of time, but luckily we got a slot at 1:15 which meant a two hour wait. I was ready to hit up the shows and start exploring the park, but dad got us tickets to see the USS Missouri ship.

From the park, we had to take a bus to see the USS Missouri. Our bus driver was insane. I was a little worried we wouldn't make it in one piece.


Alie thought he was hilarious and in exchange he loved her. 

Thankfully, we made it to the Missouri ship in one piece. 

It was such a great history lesson. We got to see where Japan signed the treaty and learn some facts about the ships back then. The ship we were on was an old one from the same time of Pearl Harbor. Everything was vintage and cool! 








The captain's chair. 








As we were getting off the boat, we ran into a friend from home, Elder Moffit! It was funny because we were just talking about him the day before, trying to figure out which island he was on. He ended up being on our same bus back over to the main park, so we got to chat for awhile. He had a few questions about home, so it was fun to update him!


Once we got back, it was finally our turn for the tour. Warning: I am going to get emotional. Skip to the pictures if you wish.

First they had us sit in a theater and played a movie that informed us about the history. I knew coming into this portion of the trip, I would be pretty emotional, so I prepared myself for it mentally. Well since the video was speaking more from a history perspective, I didn't really cry. I felt okay. I mean it is sad, but I was okay. 

Next they took us on a ship to the USS AZ Memorial. Then I kind of lost it. The memorial is on top of the ship. From certain points memorial, you can see the boat. I walked through trying no to really think about it so I wouldn't cry. Then I entered the back room and there is a list of names of people that passed away from this ship. It was awful. I immatiately had to leave the room. I just wanted to line up and get back on the boat. I put on my sun glasses so no one would try to comfort me. I started thinking about the passing of my dear friend. How hard it was as a friend, and only imagine it was/is on her family. Then I saw people posing on the ship and smiling for pictures. It just felt all wrong. This was a place to remember and mourn, not take mockingly happy pictures. It hurt my heart. 

Then I remembered something from the video. It said after Pearl Harbor was hit, everyone came together. Instantly I understood. I thought about how when JaKelle was really sick, and I witnessed my whole high school come together to support her. My spirits were instantly lifted. I felt a connection to society at that time, and caught a glimpse of what they felt. I'm sure they were horrified of when they would be hit again, but all tried to support each other. I remembered that same feeling. I was always horrified when I got a text about an update on JaKelle. Never sure if it was positive or negative. But at the same time, it was a growing time. 

Once we got back on the boat, I just closed my eyes and let my hair blow in the wind. I had a sense of gratitude for human kind and for my family. I am so blessed. 

I knew once we got off the boat, DJ was going to want to spend forever in the museum (he absolutely loves history). I also knew all the kids would get mad at him for taking so long. When I got off the boat, I went up to him and told him to take as long as he wants in there. I knew it would be his favorite part of the trip, so he should be able to enjoy it. I ended up learning a thing or two from actually trying to enjoy it. In the end, I did indeed enjoy it. 



Photo Cred: Alison


 

Photo Cred: DJ


This is an awful picture. A) We are not lined up well. B) I didn't want a picture, so I have the fakest smile of the century. 


Cute pin in the museum. I want it. 



Just as I expected. At least they were entertaining themselves outside. 



Morgan pointed out the Galapagos Islands when we were leaving, so naturally I needed a picture! 


After the museum, we drove another hour back, but stopped at Outback for dinner/lunch. We pulled up at 3:53, but unfortunately, they open at 4. So we just patiently waited outside. It was well worth the wait! Especially for the blooming onion. 


I also got this cute milkshake! 

Once we got home, Alie begged me for 5 minutes to go swimming with her. I had no desire because I did not want to get cold. It was getting dark outside, and I was cold just sitting in the hotel room. She somehow convinced me to sit at the pool and read. Eventually I just gave in, and got my swim suit on. Since we were so sun burned though, it was pretty funny to watch us try to swim. We couldn’t extend our arms very well, so we were pretty awkward swimmers.

Later that evening, the boys watched tv while I tried to post 70 some pictures to facebook, which took too many tries!







CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top