Sunday.
We try to keep it as Holy as possible, which makes it kind of hard.
We planned to go to a church at 12, but dj and my mom wanted to see the arlington cemetery. So instead we went to a ward over there at 11:30. But guess what. It was a singles ward. We were one of those families. Haha. The sacrament meeting was great! One of the best testimony meetings I've been to in awhile.
Our guy friends rolled in too, so we made sure to get a picture since we never got one with them in Philly.
After church we drove through the cemetery, then relaxed in our hotel rooms for an hour and half until dad left for his flight home.
We ate lunch/early dinner at a place called the district taco. It was really good!! (Meagan Shepherd gets the credit) I definitely recommend to anyone in DC!
Then we started our long trek!
1. I put in my navigation device the Lincoln Memorial and then we stopped at a few war memorials along the way. (Ps the Lincoln memorial was about 2 miles away-lots of walking).
Vietnam War Memorial
Statue representing the nurses that helped.
Wall of names of americans who died in the Vietnam War.
My mom and I briefed the kids that this is like a reverent thing where we are supposed to honor them. The next second, everyone started talking about silly things and I got kind of mad.
It just felt insensitive.
We can spend 2 minutes of silence to honor them.
Lincoln Memorial
"In this temple, as in the hearts of the people for whom he saved the Union, the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever"
Lincoln's hands are in an "A" and "L" shape.
(The sculptor was involved in the deaf community.)
Lincoln helped establish the first deaf school, so that may be why there is an ASL feature.
We are all smitten by him.
Nate was a gem and carried my bag for me.
(I think it may have been for a shout out on my blog ;) )
Korean War Memorial
America had just gotten out of WW2, and society wanted their troops back.
America was slaughtered because they didn't have enough troops still out.
It was gory and devastating until they stepped it up.
I wish I could appreciate the sacrifice of troops the same way previous generations do.
It's true, freedom is not free. People sacrifice so much for this country.
MLK Memorial
Alie was dragging... So we made it fun.
She wanted to close her eyes and be guided.
Lucky for her, I learned how to lead the blind because of a "deaf-blind" class.
Letting her feel the list of names.
Franklin Roosevelt Memorial
Photobombing...Thanks Nate
I love this. What a humble man.
Thomas Jefferson Memorial
Featuring our history lover. He just soaks this all up and he is so knowledgable.
Waiting for our history genius.
REALITY
(and random pictures)
Many stops.
We ended the night with the WW2 Memorial. Which was AMAZING.
Practicing the selfie stick feat. the Washington Monument.
One star for every 100 people that passed.
It made me kind of sad thinking about humans killing other humans. I wish there was another way.
I guess that's what makes it that much more of a sacrifice.















0 comments:
Post a Comment