October 26, 2014

I am becoming one boring, old adult. Just wait til you hear about my weekend.

On Friday, after I finished volunteering at the deaf school, I came home and did laundry. Steph soon came home, and we spent some time catching up. The rest of my night was spent cleaning the house, finishing laundry, and watching a movie. Lame, I know. I even had 3 events I could have gone to. I guess I did have a stressful week.

On Saturday, Steph went to Mesa for Avery's party, Syd was already home in Mesa, and Annabeth was with Chris, so I had the house to myself all day. I did more boring adult things, like grocery shopping, homework, etc. At 2, I went to a lesson with the missionaries for a sweet girl named, Arminda. The lesson was about the plan of salvation. She had great questions and was really engaged. As soon as the lesson was over, I drove super fast over to ASDB. I worked at the dorms for the first time this semester.

For any of you who don't know, ASDB stands for Arizona School for the Deaf and the Blind. I work in the deaf dorms every once in awhile. Well yesterday I worked from 3-11 in a boys dorm. The kids were so cute, they were elementary aged, which also meant SO hyper! The first 2 hours were spent running around, and playing outside. I even got to revisit my childhood and ride a scooter.

From 5-5:30 they ate dinner. Then from 5:30-6:30 they played on the playground. I pretty much just sat on the bench and chatted with the other worker.

6:30-7:30 we went into the girls dorm (we had one elementary girl with us and there is a lobby in each dorm), and played jump rope. Then I got to chat with one of the high school girls I used to work with. She was one of my BFFs while working. She told me at least half a million times that she missed me and invited me to her graduation one hundred more times. Love her.


Once I got my ninos asleep, I moved over to the middle school/high school dorm. I basically spent the rest of the night playing Uno. The best part was hearing this cute 12 year old laugh. I'm telling you, if you want happiness, hear a deaf kid laugh. The second best was him signing sorry everytime he gave me a "draw 2, draw 4" card.

Finally by 11 I got off work. I was STARVING. So I stopped at McDonalds for a spicy chicken sandwich, revisiting my High school traditions.

I'm going to rant for a second. How can a parent just not care to learn ASL if they have a deaf child? It is your child. How can you just not care enough to build a relationship with them? A school solely for deaf children is great, but they need a family too. The kids don't even like going home (when they rarely do on big holidays even though they can go home every weekend), because their families don't talk to them. I have yet to met a student at ASDB that has any family member that can sign. I just want to shake the parents. Idiots. End rant.




On Sunday I had church from 9-12, the usual. I was too lazy to wake up on time, so I went with natural hair for the 3rd week. Cool.

Right after church I went to the ASL branch with Olivia. There were a total of 12 people there, including the missionaries. They just meet in a classroom for sacrament meeting.


After the deaf branch, I took Olivia home and checked out her adorable house. Seriously, they had so many cute accents, and all the furniture was adorable.


Once I got home, I changed and went to the Binghampton Cemetery to visit the graves of my great grandparents. I was fortunate enough to get to know my Great Grandma and Grandpa Luke before they passed.


My great grandparents always had wind mills like this in their backyard. It made me cry a little bit when I saw it there. 




My grandma always took pride in her garden of flowers and would show us every time we came over to visit. It was probably my favorite part about going to their house. I think that is what made me want a garden. I just loved hers. Anyway, it only seemed fitting to bring flowers since she always had a beautiful garden. 




Fun fact. I have quite the family heritage in Tucson. 

-My great grandparents fell in love in Tucson. Then they had their family here. 

-My great grandpa was in charge of cleaning the Linden building and was so faithful about it. (that is where 5th ward meets, and where we usually have our Halloween Dance)

-My grandmother was raised here and went to Tucson High.--that's the school I had my practicum in last semester!! 

-My grandpa moved to Tucson to go to the UofA and met my grandma and fell in love. 
         -They had their reception in my stake center. 

-My grandma also went to the UofA, as did my great aunt that practically helped raise me. 

-My mother was born in Tucson. 

-My other great aunt and uncle both went to the UofA and fell in love here. 



-My great grandma's sister, still lives here in Tucson. Her granddaugher is an interpreter at Tucson High. Her child is in one of the classes I interpret for. 


I love that some of my family lived here. It makes me love this place even more. I will definitely miss Tucson when I move. 




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top