September 24, 2016

Happenings... September 18-26
Sorry no pictures. The following post will have a lot to make up for it.

1. I finished all my work at the office and my boss lady didn't have time to train me on my next project. So I had a nice little break for a week. It was real nice. Instead of being super productive with that gained time, I mostly just caught up on my tv shows, and attempted to work out. It was nice having a few hours to myself before I started my night with Taylor.

2. I went to Taylor's FHE again. We went to the tri-stake center, and helped prep stuff for the Mesa Temple Lights. Service is always a good thing, but especially when it involves the temple. I secretly have this dream of cleaning the temple. I love cleaning the church, i can only imagine how great it would be to clean the temple.
Anyway at FHE, we were in charge of spray painting some stuff. There were only two spray paints though, so I mostly just "supervised".
After FHE, Taylor's groupies headed over to Backyard Taco. Definitely did not disappoint. I don't know why I don't go there more often.


3. My A hour student was at Disneyland, which meant I got teamed up with another interpreter for A hour. I found out that morning I was with the only interpreter I hadn't met, and it was a history class (definite no go). It ended up being a lot of fun! The interpreter has a deaf mom, so he is amazing, naturally. He made the history lecture much more engaging with the way he interpreted. I actually learned something and retained it. It's always a treat to be teamed with a rockstar interpreter.

4. Taylor promised the family history person that he would go to the family history lab that week. He didn't tell me about that deal until I arrived at his house, but nonetheless, we went.
 Remember how my computer completely restarted, and I lost everything? I realized I needed to download Indexing again, but it didn't work...
Then Taylor had an identity crisis...His great grandma had someone else it was saying she was married to. His grandpa disappeared. I suggested that maybe she remarried and he was not about that life. After a lot of research and a few texts to his mother, we found out she was indeed married again. It was quite the crisis though.
While Taylor was freaking out, I was no help and went on relativefinder. GUESS WHO I AM RELATED TO?!?!?! President Hinckley! We are 3rd cousins, 3 times removed. That is pretty close my friends!! So cool.
After all of our emotional highs and lows, lol, we got ice cream and then headed back to his parents for a bit.

5. I am not really a fan of movies that are based on a true story. My mom thinks it is so heartless of me and teases me all the time about it. But anyway, Taylor convinced me to go see Sully with his mom and aunt. It's that movie with Tom Hanks, where the pilot lands the land on the Hudson River. Everyone lives, but he gets a lot of grief from the authorities. It was actually a really good movie. Broke the mold of the typical "true story vibe".

6. I decided I am going to take the final interpreting test. It's a pretty big deal. With this test, I am certified to interpret at every level, AND get a HUGE pay raise. Heres the catch, it currently only has a 17% passing rate. The people that do eventually pass have already taken it 4 or 5 times. Here's the deal. When you graduate, you take the written test while everything is fresh in your mind. Then you have 5 years to take the performance. I am only at 2 years (in December) but I want to take it anyway. I don't really plan to pass the first time, but still want to go into it somewhat prepared.
I found out about a girl that is mentoring people on the test. So one Saturday I spent my morning in Glendale, learning all I could about how to prepare/what to expect. I still probably won't take it til April ish. Oh I forgot to mention, the test is about 400 dollars every time you take it. So yeah. Hopefully I don't have to take it 5 times. Wish me luck!

7. That same saturday, I stopped by my parents to see Alie and some of the stu co kids building their junior class float for homecoming. I volunteered to get pizza and also invited Taylor who happened to be a mile from my parents. We spent the rest of the day helping (I mostly just "supervised").

The women's broadcast was that night, so some of my girl cousins (the only ones who still live in AZ) came over for dinner and to watch. It made me feel old. All my cousins that are my age are on missions, or moved away. Only the high school girls came.







CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top