December 15, 2014

Every single day this week was very eventful! So get ready for a busy bee blogpost. 


Wednesday we had our traditional grad dinner with our professors, deaf mentors/friends and colleagues. Unfortunately, the lady didn't write down our reservation, so they just put us in a corner. It was not very conducive to people signing. You could really only see the people in front of you. Oh well. It was still a good time. During that evening, we also gave all our teachers presents! 


The "Deaf Studies" Graduates 


The "Interpreting graduates"



My lovely professors. 
Leslie, Barb, Cindy and Marie

We call them by their first names as a "deaf culture norm". I think it's because everyone introduces themselves by their "Sign name" and then fingerspell their first name. 



Thursday I tutored in the morning and then Steph and I went shopping to buy decorations for my graduation party. While at party city we found this tacky but awesome UofA piñata. Steph talked me into getting it. 

Later that day, I met up with one of my deaf friends. He messaged me earlier that day and said he wanted to know more about the church. So I contacted the ASL missionaries and we met up near campus. We had a pretty good discussion and he accepted their book of mormon. After an hour meeting with the missionaries, they peaced out and I stayed for 2 hours chatting with him. 

That evening I treated Steph to Chipotle to thank her for all her help with the decorations (she is the craft queen). Once we were done eating, we met up with Syd and Rory and headed over to Chloe's for a mistle toga party. 

As far as I know, no one used the mistletoe but the togas were spot on! 






Friday I had my last tutoring appt EVER, with the girl that was my very first appt. Kind of cool! I'm happy to be done with tutoring though! 

That morning I also went by Miles to say goodbye to the room 2. I wasn't feeling too sad, but when all the kids ran up to give me a hug, I got a little teary eyed. I've volunteered in that class for 2 years, so I have spent a lot of time there! I will definitely miss them! When I was walking out of the school, my interpreting mentor, and fav class were outside! So I also got to say goodbye to them! I will definitely miss that school. Maybe some day I can end up interpreting there. :) 

Around noon I went on a date with a friend from institute. He had a very well thought out date- picnic and scavenger hunt. It was fun! 

That evening we had a 2 hour choir rehearsal, BUT we were treated with Costco pizza after! So that definitely made up for it! Once Steph and I got home, we hit decorating full force. We pulled weeds out back, hung up a photo back drop, and moved around some furniture. I suggested that we needed a "2014" decoration and Steph got right on it! We went to WalMart and Target and bought some stuff for it. 


Saturday- PARTY DAY!!! 

I needed a break so I went and got my nails done. 

I haven't had them painted for 6 months (you can't have them done as an interpreter) so it was nice! Plus I decided I could justify it with graduation, a party and choir concert. While driving home, I got a text from a member in my bishopric asking me to talk the next day.

Right when I got home, I had an hour break before I had to get ready, so I got right on it. I was definitely helped out by the spirit and finished 98% of it. 

Around 3, Steph and I drove to a nice nursing home to sing along with the choir. We all arrived a little early, so we got to walk around and talk to the people before singing. Some were so cute and did my heart some good. One lady wasn't too happy to have us there. I tried to introduce myself and ask her name and said said, "why does everyone want to know my name?" Haha! It was funny. 

Our performance was spot on. Right when we were done, we had to bolt over to the next nursing home which was another 20 minutes away. I loved watching the old people's facial expressions as we sang. My very favorite was when we sang "Joy to the World" and opened it up to the audience to sing with us. One man started to sing and his wife got mad at him for singing. She was so embarrassed. It was hilarious! 


By the time we got home, we only had an hour and a half before the party. It was crunch time. We somehow got it all done and I had enough time to get ready. 

The party was perfect. Like always, if you want details, refer to Syd's blog. 

http://sydrichardson.blogspot.com/2014/12/heres-little-old-school-for-you-that.html


The party started out pretty chill. We had a slideshow going, and everyone just mingled. I told Syd ahead of time that I wanted pictures with everyone. She was a gem and helped me gather everyone up. 



Can we just appreciate the fact that Steph made these by hand. That would take way too much patience for me. 


She also made this. She painted the numbers red, drilled all the holes and then stuck lights through it. She is amazing. 


My roomies...AB was at work. 














Then we surprised er'one with the pinata! 




Then the pictures commenced. 











In usual 1320 business, we started the karaoke. 


Ej and Steph serenaded me. 















Around dancing time, the party died town. Which was actually a good thing because then we could clean up earlier. We had so many helpers, so it went by pretty quick.

Once everyone left and went to bed, I contributed my part to roomie Christmas. Then I stayed up a bit too late adjusting my talk. 


Sunday was Christmas in 1320!! 

Steph woke us up at 6 to open stockings and gifts. 



We all exchanged our "secret santa" gifts and then everyone went upstairs to sleep for a little. I couldn't fall back asleep so I laid there for an hour. Then finally decided to just review my talk again. 


A mixture of 3 hours of sleep and some nerves, I said good morning twice. Haha oops! Everyone laughed and that helped calm my nerves. The rest went alright. 


I got this lovely snapchat during church. 



As being my last Sunday with my 1320 roomies, we took a picture.



Doin the AB. 


I decided I needed a picture with the RS presidency too. 


Maddi is crazy. 






By the time church was over, I was so ready for a nap but I needed to pack. The rest of my day consisted of packing, and dying from all the dust. Oh and my diet for the day consisted of a sandwich and candy. 


That evening Steph and I had our institute choir performance. My parents and Alie came to support me. They are sweethearts. 









Then we headed back to my house to put some stuff in his truck. Then we were off to Mesa! 



My mom is so cute and put up some graduation decorations. 




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top