Quito, Ecuador

I just had the biggest adventure of my life. So much happened that it would be impossible to put it all in one post, so I'm going to split it up by each place we visited.

Here is a little background about why we went. Last summer, I took an intensive ASL class, and met a girl from Ecuador. She is in the interpreting program with me, and plans to take her skills back to Ecuador when she graduates from UofA. Anyway, my teacher, Cindy Volk, told us that she use to get groups and go to Mexico. Throughout the years, they have greatly helped the schools there, and now they are just about equivalent with American deaf schools. The only problem is that Mexico is too dangerous to take a whole school group, so she just goes by herself. Well one day, Damaris suggested that we go to Ecuador.

Once school got back in session in the fall, we had more information and it became a possibility. Damaris' father had many connections and said he could get us host families. He does many exchanges (Damaris was here in the US on an exchange), and he said he could help us out. So we planned a date and made it happen. There are 2 deaf schools within the capital, so we figured we would volunteer at those and then tour the next two weeks. We met every Monday to learn Ecuadorian Sign Language and discuss the trip as a whole. In case anyone is curious, yes I got 3 credits for this.

I am going to give a quick run down of the group:

Cindy Volk- the director of my interpreting program and a big deal in the deaf community

Sean Volk- her husband- use to teach math at a high school level

Jeffrey aka Jeff- professor at a University in Tennessee. He use to teach at UofA and that's how he
knows Cindy. He came to help us out.

Alex and Drew Volk- Cindy's sons. One goes to NAU and the other goes to UofA.

Mark- He is an American man that married an Ecuadorian lady. He helped us set up a lot of things in Ecuador, and volunteered at the school with us. He also has his own volunteer project in Ecuador.

Jonathan- He is a tucson deafie. Cindy invited him to help give a deaf input. Side note- one of the kids he adopted, I work with at Miles. Small world.

Damaris- classmate that is from Ecuador and was our ultimate connection.

Mario- Damaris' father. Helped set up everything, and was our tour guide. Practically my Ecuadorian father.

Ali- deaf with cerebal-palsy. She was on an exchange with Damaris and came to our summer class to help out.

Classmates- Audrey, Liz, Mau, Kylie, Krista and Teresita.


Here is part 1 of our travels.



 I woke up at 4:20 and was picked up at 5. Liz and her father were so sweet to drive me to the airport so I didn't have to leave my car there. It took forever to check in but luckily we made it! As soon as the plane took off, I suddenly got really nervous. It all became real and I knew there was no backing out! I started to remember all the paranoia by dad and grandma shared with me. I tried to replace it with all the good things I had heard but I was freaking out. I was picturing this run down place and scary people on the street, holding me at gun point and stealing my money. 
I said a prayer that we would be safe and protected and have fun! I turned on some church music on my phone, and the flight attendant brought me food and I felt all better! :) 

The rest of the day consisted of getting off a plane just to get on another. We flew from Tucson to Chicago. Then to Miami and finally to Quito! I always love socializing with people on the plane but the first guy was really grumpy, and the last one only spoke Spanish. So nothing worth sharing there. 


We made it in around 10:30 their time (2 hour difference), and we were greeted by Damaris' family. They gave us all a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I love that part of their culture. 


I was so grateful all my bags made it and nothing was tampered with! 

Finally around 11 we left the airport and our bus drove an hour to our hotel. 
I loved looking out the window and taking in the city. I also skimmed through my friends "Spanish for dummies" book hoping to learn a little! Yes, I went into the trip knowing no Spanish! 

Finally around midnight we arrived at our hotel, and it was very quant! 

I got selected to sleep on the bunk bed, but there was no ladder. 





Day 1-

View from window. 




In Ecuador, they have the same thing for breakfast every morning. Scrambled eggs with granola and yogurt or ham and cheese. Every one was so sick of the eggs in the end! 

I learned pretty quick about "Ecuadorian Standard Time", which is even worse than "Mormon Standard Time". We finished eating and waited outside for 30 minutes! 


This was our own private bus that drove us all around Quito. If we didn't have it, we probably would have been pick-pocketed on the city bus. 


Our cute hotel. 




Random guys on the street that wanted a picture with us.


After breakfast we went on a gandala (like an enclosed ski lift) that carried us to the top of a volcano. This gave us a great view of the city so get ready for a lot of pictures! 

Side note: I let someone else use my camera, so photo cred goes to Mau! 





 





We walked up many stairs, which was exhausting when adding the higher elevation. 
The elevation was not my friend the first day. A mixture of elevation change, jet lag, and dietary change left me feeling sick. 





My cute professor and her son, Alex. 



More random guys that wanted their picture with us. 



Cute Audrey- my roommate for the whole 2 weeks. 



Jeff is a professor at a University in Tennessee and has a similar profession to my teacher, so he came to help out. He is quite the character! He loves to document everything even more than I do. We would always turn around and say, "where the heck is Jeff?" He would always be shopping or taking a picture of something. 




The llama does not look too happy. 















There were so many beggars on the streets. 


After the volcano we went to a huge catholic church that looks more like a temple to me! Unfortunately we couldn't take any pictures of the inside, so here are some of the outside. 













After the church, we went downtown. The white house was right in the center, and everyone had access to it! The president doesn't even live there though, he lives in a humble house in the city. 


Cindy and I, my professor! 



We pretty much ate this for lunch everyday. Except we couldn't eat the lettuce or tomato since it was washed in their water. For lunch, we would also get a soup that was more like a broth. I quickly got sick of the food. It was extremely bland. 
 Coke is a huge deal there. In one of our hotels, they sold Coke and beer but no water bottles. 


The final event of our day was visiting the equator! In Ecuador, they have the line of where the equator splits! So I got to be in two places at once! 




I guess since it is so flat or something you can balance an egg. 







Audrey is talented. 



Please look at her face. Hahaha! 



We ended the day with meeting our host family. Me and 4 other girls went the family, and we sure scored! We ended up having our own house and a maid that did our laundry and changed the sheets. Plus our host mom made us food and drove us around! The only downside to this luxury was that there was no wifi. We would go on the terrace every night to try to connect. We would be freezing our booties off but it was worth it to text our families! 


Don't mind how gross I look, this was taken one of the last days we were with them. 
The daughter is 19 and the son was 11. I loved the son because he reminded me of my little brother so I felt right at home! 


Day 2- 

This was a pretty boring day! We were in a meeting with the "Federation of the Deaf" all day! The problem is that they used Ecuadorian Sign Language or spoke spanish. So there was a lot of interpreting going on! My teacher made me interpret from Ecuadorian Sign Language to English. Behind me I could hear someone interpreting to Spanish. Then someone else was interpreting into ASL. I was over stimulated and had to really focus on the signs but it was so difficult! My eyes were drained by the end. 

We later split into groups and talked about our interpreter training program and the role of an interpreter. These people have good intentions but they really needed guidance. I definitely felt like we made an impact and shed some light. 




When we were all done, we got our nails done to reward ourselves. The best part is, it only cost $5! In the US it costs like $25 for the pattern we got. 

When we were walking back, we saw a pizza place so I HAD to stop! I was already sick of the Ecuador food, so the pizza was greatly appreciated! 



While walking home we noticed the graffiti said "Gandolf" so I had to take a picture for all my Lord of the Ring fans out there! Also notice the glass on the top of the wall. Most walls have it to keep people off of their property. 


Day 3- 

This was our first day at the Southern Deaf School! I WAS SO EXCITED!!!!! My only nerves were about how we would communicate since I only knew a little bit of their language. The kids were so cute and friendly, so that went away pretty fast! 

The students didn't know we were coming so they were so excited to see us! 

First we met with the director of the school and learned about the set up of the school. They had some very young students, but also some that were 22. They have a program for students that didn't have a chance to be educated, and another program for students with other special needs. 


More interpreting. There are pictures of me interpreting that I will post when I have them. Cindy would randomly point to someone and say get up there! It was great practice to be interpreting the whole time or watching others interpret. 

We spent the first bit of the day observing all the classes and being bombarded with questions. They had a break at 10, then all the hugs and introductions were greatly multiplied! We were also given the best doughnut I have ever had! Idk why but Ecuador has the best baked goods! 

After the break, we went into the classroom with the youngest ninos/ninas and introduced them to color pencils. They were intrigued and wanted to keep them! Unfortunately I needed them for the following day, so they couldn't keep them. 













The biggest problem I saw while there was with the teachers. Many times we would go into a classroom and the teacher wasn't even there. We would ask the students where she was and they acted like it was normal for her to be gone the whole class time. Another problem is that most teachers didn't know much ASL so they would talk. That is a big problem in deaf education. 

Around 1, school got out so all the kids could eat lunch with their families. We drove back an hour and everyone said 2 positive things and 2 things they would have wanted to change. I loved the part because we got to hear a summary of everyone's experiences. 

On our way back we stopped at a market to buy some souvenirs. I became a master at bargaining with them. One time I started to walk away and the person came running after me to drop the price another 5 dollars. Haha! I think I came in 2nd for buying the most stuff but everything I bought was for my family. 
After we were done shopping we had an hour til our bus picked us up so we wandered to a restaurant. While walking there we saw an ice cream place, so some of us went there first. It was a nice little piece of home and food I actually enjoyed. Once we got back to the restaurant, everyone ordered drinks. It was my first time being surrounded by people who were drinking. Literally everyone except me and the other mormon girl were drinking. It was definitely a different culture. 

Day 4- 

We went to the South school again, which would also be our last day there. I was in a group of 3, so we had many activities to do. First we played bingo and made them first teach us their animal signs. 
Then we got out a map and quizzed them on where places were. This tested their knowledge of country signs and geography. The sad thing is, none of the kids had ever seen a map. They had absolutely no idea where Ecuador was on a map. The last activity we did was my absolute favorite. We had them trace their hand and then write what they want to be when they are older and why. These students were about 16-19 and none of them had ever thought about what they wanted to become. That was heart breaking. They didn't know deaf people could have a real job and do something with their life. It was great having successful deaf people with us, to show them their potential. By the end, they all wrote down something they wanted to do after school. I felt like that was the biggest impact, getting them to realize their potential. 

Something more light now- in every classroom we went into, they would ask if we had a boyfriend. Their sign for boyfriend is different then ours, so I had no idea what they were meaning at first. Then they acted it out and I understood. That is a big deaf culture thing amongst students. They try to figure out your background and that is one of your favorite questions. Another sign I quickly learned was Facebook. When we would be leaving the classroom they would ask us if we had one. Then they would write down our information so they could later add us. 


We were crammed in this little space under the playground. The kids practically dragged us in there. 


After school was out, we met with all the teachers. I got to interpret this part into ASL and had so much fun with it! The biggest part of the meeting was teaching the teachers about the students potentials and that they can actually learn. Also the importance of teaching them literacy. Most of them just see that the students struggle with it, so they don't teach it. So we spent a lot of time educating them how to teach it properly.






There is a lot of drama with the federation and the schools. My teacher tried to explain the great help and support they could receive from the federation if they use them properly. Who knows what is happening now, but there is definitely drama. 

While driving home, some of us found out that the equator we went to the first day, isn't the real equator! Scientists later discovered that it was off a bit, so there is a place where the correct one was. I felt cheated and had to see the correct one! So 10 of us rented a car and drove an hour to see it. 




He discussed the constellation and how you can see so much on the actual equator. He also told us we would see a different constellation of stars in the Galapagos due to being in a different part of the hemisphere. 



That evening, our mother fed us more pizza, which was absolutely delicious! Then 3 of the girls I was staying with, went out to party. Me and my actual roommate stayed and enjoyed the wifi. We also stayed up a bit too late talking about boys. 


Day 5- 

Today was our first day at the North school. They were more wealthy which also meant more drama with the government. When we arrived they were practicing for their country's independence day on Saturday. So we ended up watching them outside for the first hour. 







Greeting all of us with a hug. 





Later we found out the administrator didn't tell the teachers we were coming. We had activities to do with the students, but they didn't allow us to do them. Instead we kind of wandered outside and observed a few classrooms. 




This man taught us Ecuadorian Sign Language via Facebook before our trip. He is a deaf man that teaches the youngest kids at the school. 








My teacher's sons both have red hair and all the students were so taken with them. Especially the girls! One girl was so in love with Alex, and asked if he had a girlfriend. He said yes and showed a picture of her. The poor girl's face just dropped. He didn't realize she was interested in him. 


Once school was out we were supposed to meet with the teachers, but some drama went down, so we didn't. I still am not entirely sure what happened because Mark (a volunteer that came with us) bought us all ice cream to distract us. 

On our way back home, we decided to not go back to the school the following day. The teachers knew how to teach, and they didn't want us there anyway. 

Our next stop was the military base. We were allowed to go and take pictures with some of the planes. 
**I don't have those pictures but I will steal them when I get them! 

I had a huge missionary experience. While the teachers were having some drama, one person started asking me questions about Mormons. Pretty soon everyone was gathered around and asking me a ton of questions! Some of the group had never really met a mormon so they had a million and 3 questions. I was able to get rid of some stereotypes and hopefully educate them of what we really do believe. 

The whole bus ride back, I tried to explain everything as simplisticly as I could. 


Later that evening, we had a bit of down time at Damaris's house. That meant I had good wifi for a little bit. I tried to FaceTime my family, but it wasn't working too well. Plus only Morgan and mom were home. I decided to try to FaceTime Vanita. It still had a delay but it worked a lot better! 


Typical Vanita, crying. Love her and she made me feel a piece of home! 

Day 6- 

Our original plan was to go back to the North school, but since there was drama, we toured Ecuador some more. 

First we went to the Assembly, which is basically where their congress meets. 




If you look on the top left, you can see a painting that looks kind of like Darth Vader. On his forehead it says "CIA" and that is a mocking of America. When this was painted there were some problems between Ecuador and America. 


More interpreting, Audrey was killing it! 


After the assembly, we went to downtown Quito and saw more churches. Basically everyone is a catholic so there are many churches! 



We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but the tour guide wanted a picture of us. So we had an exception. 


We went into another church and could take pictures of this one. 




Guards, 


The Volk boys- on the left is Alex, and the right is Drew. They became my BFFs on the trip. 


After all our tours, we went back to Damaris's house to eat pizza. Yes this was my 3rd time, but I was SO HAPPY. Eating the same Ecuadorian food for lunch and dinner gets a bit old.

After we ate, the federation and some other government officials came over and talked to us. I was pretty bored, but I guess it was beneficial. 

We planned to go out on the town that evening with everyone, but it ended up raining pretty hard. In fact our electricity at our home went out. Luckily we were packing for the galapagos, so we had our head lamps close! 

Our mom ended up taking Audrey and I out to eat, while the other girls went partying one last time. Our momma only speaks spanish, so poor audrey had to interpret the whole time. It was fun to have more one-on-one with her and get to know her a bit better. 


This is how we wrote a thank you card to our host family. First I wrote it in English (middle left). Then  Audrey wrote it in Spanish (right side), finally I copied the Spanish in my own hand writing on the card. Quite the process.

The next morning, we were off on a new adventure!  

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top