Half marathon

A year ago I was super motivated to set goals. I made weekly, monthly, and quarter goals. One was to run a half marathon. Idk where it came from, I just wanted to push myself physically. I started to “train” (only at a max of 2 miles so far), but then I got pneumonia. I knew I wouldn’t have enough time to recover and train, so I decided to wait for another year. My grandma ended up passing away and her funeral was the same day as the race, so it was probably a good thing I bailed.

October of 2017, I was interpreting a class where they were setting goals for the new quarter. I decided I should also set some goals. I did some research and realized if I started training that week, I would be right on track for February!!!! So I group texted my family, with some bribing, Nate, DJ, Morgan and Payson all agreed to do it!!

I trained super hard and consist for awhile. I did a lot of research and picked out people’s brains that have done them before. I wanted to know everything. Once I could run 6 miles, I let steven train with me. He has always been a runner so I knew I needed a head start. I was nervous to run with him because I’m not an actual runner. In fact I used to HATE it. But running with him meant getting to see him earlier and longer so I let him run with me. It was best thing ever. Then on, we only ran together. Often late, in the COLD dark night. Our latest run started at 10pm... training with Steven was so fun and bonding too- having a common goal and working together.

We slacked off and didn’t train near the end, so going into the race our longest mile run was 8. We somehow made the 13 miles though.

My mom was a saint and did last minute shopping for us all the night before. PLUS she woke up at 4 to lay out everything and drive us right to the start of the race! She also came to pick us up from the race, wait for us to get a picture, eat food and then bought us all food on the way back! She’s the best!

The half marathon started with the national anthem and fireworks. It was quite official and magical. We were surrounded by 6,000 other people and it was quite exhilarating!!!! It gave me energy the whole run! I didn’t even have to distract myself with positive thoughts. Steven and I had a great pace and kept it steady the whole time. Every 2 miles initially (and later every mile) there was a water station with volunteers cheering us on, plus people along the way cheering us on with signs. It was so empowering. It made me smile every time.

The last mile was brutal. I couldn’t see the end and it was so hard to endure. I gave it my all once I could see the end and tried to sprint but it was still pretty slow. I was DEAD and near tears but we did it!!!! I was so proud of us.

I recommend it to all! It was a good experience training but amazing running with so many people!! I was amazed at how strong our bodies are! I went from 2-13 in just a few months! AMAZING.







CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top