Salt Lake is only 3 hours away from Rexburg, so we'd be crazy not to go to conference right? Although we actually stayed in Provo and the drive ended up being about 6 hours because everyone from northern utah and idaho were also driving down. Plus we hit the "BYU Football game traffic". We were in stopped traffic too frequently throughout the drive.
Luckily I had Mallory with me to keep me sane.
As soon as we arrived, Mal went to the game and Sher and I went to dinner at Slab. It's a pizza place that gives you a "slab" or pizza. Much bigger than a slice. It was real good and fun to catch up! Fun fact, we walked there. It's pretty normal in Provo to walk most places.
Per typical conference weekend (plus just typical Provo), we ran into people we knew at Slab!
The rest of the night was spent at Sodalicious (I cheated and got a soda), meeting their friends, and catching up with my mesa people. We stayed up way too late talking, but after not having soda for a month, the caffeine did wonders for me.
Saturday
We thought the morning session would be the most busy for the conference center. Everyone was posting on facebook asking for morning tickets to conference so we figured we try attending the afternoon. So Tiffany, Chandler (their roommate), Sarah and I watched the morning session at their guy friends house. Sheridan unfortunately had to work all day. :( Tiff and I tried to get Krispy Kreme doughnuts before it started but every other mormon in Provo had the same idea because it was PACKED. So unfortunately, we didn't get them.
The first session was probably my favorite of the whole conference meeting. Larry R Lawrence's talk was easily my favorite although there were so many great ones.
As soon as we could, we hurried up to Salt Lake. We stopped real quick for food in American Fork at a place, I can't remember the name but it's the same food, concept as Canes just not as greasy. It really hit the spot.
By the time we got to the conference center, we were too late to get tickets so we just headed to the tabernacle. To be honest, I was REAL bummed. I wasn't mad about not being there when the new apostles being called, I just wanted to feel that strong spirit from the leaders of the church and the unity of all the members. But I guess we tried.
I guess it was cool to see the tabernacle where conference used to be shown. Plus the talks were still perfect. I even cried a few times.
The boys then went their own ways for the priesthood session and we hit city creek mall for a bit. I'm definitely going to have to come back to Salt Lake soon to go real shopping!
We were all exhausted by the time we got home so we all just sat there in silence, looking at the social media, mainly people posting their conference traditions. Once Sheridan finally got home, we went to a store that had a "girls night out sale" because priesthood and mormon-town. Then we FINALLY ate dinner at Waffle Love. It was even better than I remembered. The only bad thing was, they made the portions smaller.
Sheridan and Tiff had another friend form Mesa, Ashley Clayton, stay with them so we had another night of late night chatting.
Sunday
The struggle was real getting up in the morning. I decided I'd rather sleep than get ready, so that's what happened.
Sheridan, Sarah and I watched the first session with Sheridan's work friends. One of the guys lives in his grandparents "house" (they only come up every few months), so it was real extravagant compared to all our "student housing".
Once again, the talks were so great. I'm excited to go back and listen more individually and in depth.
Sheridan insisted we take a picture even though Sarah and I didn't really get ready.
My dad's parents live in Bountiful (just outside of Salt Lake) and I really felt like I should visit them before I left. I was kind of fighting with myself over it because there were still so many people I wanted to see in Provo. But eventually I decided if the thought to see them kept coming into my mind, I should probably do it.
On my way from Provo to Salt Lake, I stopped for some lunch. I didn't feel as bad about it because I used a gift card and I was on vacation. (I ate at Chipotle and forgot how much it filled me up. My body wasn't used to that much food).
My grandma was so surprised to see me and it made it all worth it. It was nice talking with them and feeling their love. I went with the intention of serving them but instead my grandpa kept trying to serve me and feed me. I of course accepted some pumpkin pie before I hit the road. :)
The drive was whatever. It felt long but probably mostly because I was becoming tired.
When I got off the freeway, I had so much love for Rexburg. I realized I made the right choice for myself moving here. It's a beautiful place. The fall trees and weather during the day are so lovely. I was thinking about the little things that led me to this choice- like visiting when Morgan and Payson had their open house here, feeling like I would move to Idaho after I graduated, and then seeing online that BYU-I was hiring. It's funny though because I was thinking of moving to like Boise or somewhere bigger, not so cold. Then I chose Rexburg but I like it more than I imagined. I'm excited to explore.
As I was walking up to my door, I remembered that my test results from my interpreting test should be there! Sure enough it was sitting on the table. I no longer had to go to the bathroom and instead ripped that mail open. I PASSED. I kind of anticipated that I would, but it was still a nice relief. My dad was sweet and called to congratulate me (he was more excited than I was).
I finally brought all my stuff up to my room and then Morgan called me and invited me over for homemade apple pie she made. Yep pie 2 times in one day. I didn't eat dinner but my chipotle probably had enough calories for the whole day anyway. Oh yeah and it was ice cream with the pie. Healthy day right?
I ate SO much this weekend. I ate out for lunch and dinner every day and the portions were always large (Except at waffle love). I'm confident I gained some weight, but I'll probably lose it walking around Idaho with all these hills and eating a little better now.
I'm also excited to catch up on some sleep again. :)
I always know going to Utah for conference will be a crazy weekend but it's always so fun.
We are so lucky to have General Conference where we can be edified and receive hope. We are extra lucky to have a generous Heavenly Father and Savior.


0 comments:
Post a Comment