Before I got here, I was told there were 5 deaf students, so that is what I've been telling everyone. I just noticed the other day that there are actually only 3.
One has a cochlear implant and decided he doesn't need an interpreter.
Another student is off track, so we won't have her til next semester.
Anyway I get to interpret such diverse classes.
Student 1 is a business major, so I get to see what the life of a business student is all about.
Those classes are kind of boring, but the plethora of cute boys make up for it.
Student 2 is a health science major.
These classes are mostly made up of girls.
My team interpreter teases that he is interpreting Relief Society.
The hardest class within this major is the drug abuse class.
There are so many big words and signs that I didn't remember.
Luckily I kept my "drug sign" book, so I've been reviewing.
Student 3 is a family science... major.
Each college has their own title for this major so I never remember the actual name.
Anyway, these classes are so fun. The content isn't too hard and I can have fun with it.
Almost all the classes I interpret are teamed with another interpreter.
We each interpret 15 minutes, then trade off.
I like all the interpreters, and deaf students. We are a little clique.
Devotional was a real treat. It was the inauguration of the new president.
It was very "official". Pres Uchtdorf, Oaks, Holland and Bednar were all there.
The spirit was so strong when they all walked in. I got the chills.
I luckily didn't have to interpret the whole meeting, but I still got to sit in the front.
Hearing Pres Uchtdorf talk about BYU-I and all it has accomplished, made me feel so much pride.
I'm so lucky to be a part of this school.
I've always been kind of annoyed that the BYU schools are so "exclusive" and use tithing money.
But you could tell the leaders of the church do not take this lightly. It is sacred to them.
It was a great meeting.
Pres Uchtdorf was silly.
When they were all exiting, he waved and blew kisses.
Then he stopped and made the other apostles do the same.
Also while he was talking, his wive came up behind him and straightened his "sash".
It's fun to see them as normal people.
**I get to interpret devotional next week- Wish me luck. :)
It is so nice coming home from "work" and being done. I hear all day about all the homework assignments, quizzes, and readings that need to be done. But I come home and have nothing. It's great. I learn what the students are learning, but I have no "responsibility". Quite the treat.
The temple finally opens on Tuesday, so I will definitely use a lot of my time there.
For the most part this week, I enjoyed catching up on my journal, working out, watching Parks and Rec, and going to sleep at a decent hour.
Morgan and Payson had me over for dinner one night, which was a real treat.
We ate soup, watched tv and drank hot chocolate.
Well and I talked forever about my first few days.
I am really enjoying this stress-free life. It's healthy for me. Haha.
Last night was probably the most fun I've had in awhile.
Mallory and I got tickets for the David Archuleta concert in Idaho Falls.
It's 30 minutes away and basically the "big town" that has everything that Rexburg doesn't.
We took advantage of all the restaurants and went out to dinner while we were over there.
It was so fun to chat and talk about girl stuff.
We got to the concert pretty early, only to find out they don't open the doors til an hour before.
The venue was super vintage and cute though. It's also an art exhibit, so we explored.
We ran into a million people Mallory knew from school.
Once the concert started, a cute 17 year old girl opened. Her name is Gracie Schram. Look her up.
She was your typical, bubbly, happy mormon girl. She has some real talent though.
David Archuleta FINALLY came out an hour later and we fan-girled so hard!
In 8th grade, Mal and I were BFFs and we LOVED david archuleta. So it was fun to finally see him in concert. Our 14 year old dream came true; hearing him sing "Touch My Hand".
I was surprised how well we both remembered all his lyrics! It was SO fun singing at the top of our lungs and dancing in our seats.
I especially loved hearing the background to all his songs and why they were written.
I joined the club of girls that want to marry him.
Smitten.
Your David Archuleta outfit was on point.
ReplyDelete:) Thanks Maddy!!
ReplyDeleteI had to look good for David!
ReplyDelete