Saturday
I didn't have much I needed to do, so I planned to just sleep in to waste some time.
Nope. I woke up at 6 am. I wanted to go back to sleep so bad but instead I just laid there til 8.
I eventually just got out of bed and made myself a breakfast burrito, prepped some food for the week and got ready.
My house was way too quiet and I didn't want to get lonely, so I went on campus to look for all my buildings. I found them all, but I only remember where 2 of the buildings are. #fail #baddirection
After walking around campus, I went to Morgans to pick up my frames and visit. We ended up running a few more errands and watching a few episodes of Gilmore Girls. (She has me conditioned-when I go to her house, the Gilmore Girl theme song plays in my head).
I had a boring work meeting at 5. We met at a pizza place and basically my supervisor just told us her expectations for the semester. It was more for the transcribers than the interpreters though. The only positive thing was meeting the other interpreters. For the first time like ever, there are more boy interpreters than girls. But all the boys served ASL missions and that's why they interpret now. So it makes sense.
That evening I went to "I-Night" with Mallory! There were a ton of activities to do- sumo wrestling, dating game, jumpy houses, dance, lip sync battle, bowling, etc. We mostly just walked around and socialized with people she knew. It was chill but it was nice to see people. It did my heart some good.
(PS the BYU football game was on that night. I realized all the UofA games are the same time as the BYU games AND most people here love BYU Football. So I'm probably on my own if I ever want to watch a wildcat game).
Sunday
My roommate told me she goes to a YSA ward but it's a non-student ward. I had a feeling it would be a lot of older people. I was leery but decided to at least give it a try.
Mallory's ward was a little after my sacrament meeting, so I was able to do both. I attended mine and I was right. It's not really up my alley.
I enjoyed Mallory's a lot more and talked to the bishop to see if I could move my records. He seemed pretty hopeful!
That evening Morgan and Payson had me, and Payson's sister, Savanna over for dinner. They are too kind. It was also SO good!!! I think it was the first food I've been able to taste in awhile. But regardless, it was real good.
After we ate, and had dessert, we facetimed home. We talked for at least an hour. It was fun to hear and see them. It's kind of weird it's only the 4 of them living there.
I called the night early because I wanted to prep stuff for the following day. Plus it's already getting cold and windy outside and I knew the later I waited, the colder it would become.
Monday
BYU-Idaho started school today which meant I started interpreting!!!
My first class I was set to interpret started at 7:45, which meant I had to outside the classroom by 7:30. Somehow I was able to wake up, and make it with plenty of time.
Well the student showed up and told us he didn't need an interpreter.
Oh goodness.
I wasn't really mad because I still got paid even though I didn't do anything. But it's a pain because a majority of my hours in the week are with that student, so they had to readjust everything.
Instead I was able to spend some time in HR and finalize everything. I now have access to everything! I just have to get an ID tomorrow! It took quite some time, so it was kind of a tender mercy that things didn't work out with the student.
My other classes went really well. I'm going to have to study and do some "prep work" but none of the classes are unbearable. I have a "team" for each class which is really lucky! That means that we interpret 15 minutes, and then switch off. I can't imagine doing an hour lecture by myself. I'd go crazy.
Side notes:
I love the deaf community here. They are so welcoming and already dear friends.
I love the campus. Okay, not the layout. I have no idea where anything is. I love the people and how cheerful everyone is!
There are also such cute boys plus they dress so well. Sometimes I feel like i'm going to blurt out "you're cute". It's a problem. But really. There is an overwhelming amount of cute boys here.
The best news of the day: I GET TO ATTEND A YSA STUDENT WARD!!!!!
I looked on my BYU-I page and they assigned me to a ward.
The ward meets in the Hinckley building which is dreamy. The chapel is so elegant.
I'm so happy though!!!
To end the day, I went to FHE with Mallory and her roommates. They had a BBQ at their bishops house. He lived in a pretty isolated part and had so much land. It was beautiful.
I was slightly frightened when the herd of sheep starting charging. I wasn't the biggest fan.
I've "chosen" to be happy since the day my mom left. It was an effort. I've had moments where I've been truly happy, but for the most part, I had to choose. Well today I was genuinely happy.
I do best when I'm busy and with people.
Crossing my fingers to a good semester :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment