27th
Once upon a time when I looked up flights, I decided a red eye was SO WORTH the cheap flight. Even better, it left at 12, which hopefully meant I could sleep on the plane. If I failed to, I would have one more short flight where i could repent and sleep.
The first flight I got probably an hour of sleep (which is super good for me), but we landed around 3 my time. Then I had to sit there and keep myself awake for 3 hours until I got on my connecting flight. That was the worst part. Being so tired, but not sleeping.
Instead I watched the news, ate a pretzel and went through social media a bijillion times. But I survived and repented and slept the WHOLE 2nd leg. Mouth open, probably sleep talking, whole shebang. But my body thanked me.
Just for the record dad- I would in fact do it again for the cheap flight. Plus it was nice to have the whole next day to play.
28th
I landed around 10:45 their time. In my mind, I planned to go back to Vanita's, brush my teeth, change and then hit the town. She had an errand she wanted to run. It was at Target so I of course didn't mind. It soon extended to the King of Prussia Mall (one of the nicest in the Nation). I got lunch and got to roam around. I just wish I had changed and brushed my teeth at the airport. Lesson learned.
I did in fact brush my teeth that afternoon.
After a few errands, we went to the house. I was determined not to take a nap, but we still took it easy. We laid in her luxurious, king size bed and planned our New York trip a bit more; bought bus tickets, facetimed Morgan so Vanita could meet Conrad, and caught up on life of course.
Later that evening, we decided spontaneously to go see La La Land. We invited a nanny friend, who also happens to be from the valley- Shandra, to come with. We were quite typical girls and we binge ate. I also spilled my huge soda on me, so that was good. In the middle of the movie, I hit a wall. I was nodding off constantly. Eventually I decided to just "go to the bathroom" so I could get up for a second. I also may or may not have been missing Taylor and wanted to send a few texts...and selfies
Tbh, I had my reservations about the movie beforehand, and it was exactly what I predicted it to be. I wish I loved it like everyone else, but I was kinda disappointed with the dancing. Although I did like the story line when it actually developed.
When we got home, I wanted to do some form of a workout, but it was 11. So I tried to quietly and briefly workout in the basement. Good news, no one woke up.
29th
We decided New York would be crazy and little sleep. So we opted to wake up when we naturally did and not set any alarms. It was glorious.
When we finally made it out at the door around 11, our first stop was to get our nails done. Unfortunately, they were busy. I ran across the street to get lunch, and then came back to see they still hadn't made any progress. So we opted to come back later because we had a show in town around 2. We had a little bit of time so we stopped at Vanita's boss's bakery and got free treats. Holler!
We parked the car at the temple, and then got an uber.
Our driver gave us quite the experience. He told us he was just recently in Colorado to do weed. Then proceeded to tell us he just got out of jail a few months ago.. Cool. The jail time was for drugs of course.
Then we saw Mama Mia. It was super cute and very well done. Of course a lot of dirty little references, but still a cute play.
After we went to the temple to do initatories. It was quite the experience.
We had to wait for the workers to arrive.
They didn't know how to rent clothes with a credit card, so I had to wait 15 minutes for them to help the girl before me. I eventually just paid for all of our stuff since I had cash.
They are all still being trained, so a lot of the normal tendencies and mannerisms weren't there. It was very different BUT the same work was done. It made me so grateful to grow up with a temple so close and that I can go all the time.
Also it was beautiful of course, and I loved all the art work.
We changed in the visitors center.. It is a different set up than all the other ones I've been in.
Very classy.
By this time, I was starving again. So Vanita stopped at Zoe's Kitchen (per my request) and I got my fav. Then we finally made it back to get our nails done (but at a different place that was open much later). This was seriously the biggest nail salon I've ever seen. It's swarmed with workers and they are all constantly coming up to you to ask, eyebrows? massage? pedicure too?
One of Vanita's friends jokingly calls it a sweat shop. HAHA. Rightfully so too.
After we got our nails done, we went back into the city to get Philly cheesesteaks for Kelley and Eric. We picked up Philly Eric to help us know the best place to go. A mixture of Vanita and Eric had me practically peeing my pants from laughing. Too good.
30th
Kelley and Eric landed around 6, and then our bus left at 7. That meant we needed to get ready, pack, get Kel and Eric's food ready and be out the door by 6:20.
Naturally we were running behind. I said we should just have Kel and Eric come to the house, sleep, change and catch a later bus. Vanita was determined, so we went! We were on a major time crunch to get there, and our lyft driver was asked to pick up another person. He ignored the request (and will probably get in trouble) just to try to get us there on time. We pulled up at 7:01 (blocking the bus from moving) and realized Kelley and Eric weren't out there. So we got off the bus and went looking for them.
We found them and decided to see if there were any trains leaving soon (the train station is next to the bus station which is where they were). There was one leaving in like 20 minutes for $255, or one in an hour for $50. We got so freakin lucky!! Any other time that we've looked, they are like $300. So we got freakin lucky!
Also the next bus was at 4, so we would have been waiting ALLLL day.
Good news: I did NOT get sick on the train this time.
Once our train arrived in New York, we treked through the city with our luggage to the hotel. It was only 1.3 miles, so very doable in the city, right??
As we walked, I slowly added more and more layers to my cold self.
When we got to the hotel, we couldn't check our bags in yet. But they so kindly held them for us so we could go out into town. They also had complimentary hot chocolate. Very welcome.
As we were walking, I did a heel click and spilled all over my already gross hair, and jacket.
Good start Lauren.
Pre-spill.
Before our trip, Kelley and I sat down and made a list of all the things we wanted to do, taking note of everyone's "number one". Eric's only request was touring the Yankee Stadium.
We decided to do this first since it was out of the way, and we wanted to make sure we did it.
Props to Kelley for navigating the subways the whole week.
Sure saved our feet.
And wallets from using ubers.
*****On our way to the subway, we happened to pass Magnolia Bakery.
So naturally I had to enlighten everyone.
I spy 2 creepers.
Taking the subway meant a mini photoshoot right?
We eventually made it there....but.... the tours were sold out.
Poor Eric.
BUT we made the effort, and we still looked in the shop and got pictures in front of the stadium.
After which, we were starving.
There was close to no food on that side.
So we took the subway back to town.
Our first stop was Grand Central Station.
It ended up being mostly a bathroom break.
Then we wandered down stairs and treated ourselves to Shake Shack. Yummm.
After, we made our way to the Statue of Liberty.
Unfortunately, by the time we made it there, the last ferry was leaving and we were too late.
(3rd miss of the day; bus, yankees and now this)
We decided to work our way up to the 9/11 memorial and museum.
We took a detour and stopped at "wall street" for a picture.
Plus the charging bull and of course Tiffanys.
Oh and we found Trump Tower!!!
Pointing to wall street
I'm an id. We should have done the thumbs up, not peace sign.
Silly me.
New York has so many fun Christmas decorations still up and it is magical.
Exactly what every town should look like.
We finally made it to the memorial.
Only to find out, our pass was for the new museum.
So we had to walk a baby bit more but then wait in line for 45 ish minutes.
Waiting is fine, but it's not so fine when it's cold.
I looked strange, but it was so worth the warmth.
When we walked into the museum. We had to go through security.
The people in front of us had like 4 flasks of alcohol.
Everyone involved in the pouring out of the fancy drink were in pain letting it go to waste.
It was pretty funny though.
The new museum is one made by the state.
My favorite part was the beginning.
It has a map that shows where all the different planes took off,
the times they left,
and what time they hit.
It was interesting to see it all laid out.
The craziest part- someone took a picture of the cityscape with the towers as the focal point at 9:30.
10 Minutes later, they were hit.
Memorial.
A flower is placed when it is their birthday
These are stairs from the towers that saved lifes. It survivors fought to keep the stairs.
It was the first addition to the museum and the whole structure was built around it.
By this point, we were ready to go to the hotel.
Eric and I were down to have pizza delivered to the hotel.
We ended up passing a gyro stand, and so ended up getting gyros.
Once everyone was showered, I bribed Kel and Vanita to go two stores down to get us ice cream. Very worth it.
In the mean time, I was facetiming Taylor and looking through pictures.
In the mean time, I was facetiming Taylor and looking through pictures.
31st
We had a late start, so we had to change our plans a baby bit.
First was Central Park. Probably my favorite part of the trip.
Vanita scheduled for us to see the Rockettes at 11.
It was conveniently right next to Magnolia.
I got every hooked.
They all wanted their own banana bread pudding this time. :)
Shoutout to Nate. His biggest fan.
So I don't have any pictures from the Rockettes. Fail.
Two comments though:
1. The dance moves weren't anything impressive. The impressive part is how together they are. Especially for such a large group of people. They definitely used their set too. It was all very visual. 5 stars from me.
2. The bathrooms are out of this world. They have a fancy room to "powder your nose".
It has like 20 or so vanities for women to sit and get ready.
It was amazing.
After the show, we finalllllly headed over to the statue of liberty.
New York was already super windy.
Going on the ferry was just miserable. Plus we were on the top deck. Not my fav moment of the trip.
I had two things on my "must" do list:
The Highline
Levain Bakery
They were all saints and walked quite a bit so we could get our cookies.
After we walked back to the hotel,
took quite the detour to get around the mazes of people
and blocked off street.
Vanita and I got pizza, sparkling cider and then settled into the hotel.
We were lame and stayed in.
On New Years.
If I wasn't cold, I would have been even more game to go back out.
Also, everyone was asleep anyway.
When it hit midnight, Vanita and I opened our sparkling cider, had a little dance party and then everyone went back to bed.
Taylor called to wish me a happy new year.
I then stayed up another 2 hours until it was his new year
(strategically set an alarm and watched gilmore girls in the meantime).
TBH, I was super bummed to not be with Taylor.
But I am happy I got to see Vanita and spend some time with her.
1st
Kelley and Eric forgot church clothes
Vanita didn't want to get up early, plus her knee hurt
So that left me to go to church.
I took a lyft, and got there way too early. TBH, I was a little nervous about going so early since no one was out and about. But it proved to be fine.
I strategically chose the ward that meets in the temple.
According to lds.org, the 9am ward was the singles ward
11 was the family ward (famous mommy blogger Taza's ward)
Well since it was the new year, the wards changed times.
So Taza ended up being there and Vanita was bummed we didn't think about the time change.
Ironically, there was a girl in the ward that happened to be in my institute class in Tucson
and the speakers were both from the lovely land of Arizona.
As soon as church was over, I headed back to the hotel so we could go out until our bus at 4.
We eventually made it to the Empire State building.
I made everyone put these on for the new year.
Also, notice our MHS pride.
Cute little V.
After empire state building, we took a subway to china town.
For any of you who have never been, this is where the real shopping is.
Where the people bring you into their shops, but then make you crawl through the trenches to get to another room of illegal stuff to sell (bags, cologne, watches, etc).
I wasn't really a fan of all the people coming up and whispering things to lure me into their stores.
Eric and I felt like they were saying curses. Haha.
I told Kelley this would be my hell.
Next we hit up Little Italy to get lunch.
We were not let down.
As soon as we were done, we took the subway back to the hotel, got our stuff, and then got on the bus to head back to Philly!
We did indeed catch the bus this time.
When we got into town, we dropped off our stuff at Vanita's house, freshened up and then went and got dinner at a Chinese food place. I think everyone liked their dish.
I ended the night with facetiming Taylor until my phone died, and then hit the hay (real hard).
2nd
My initial plan was to leave the 3rd, but I decided it would be nice to have an extra day to get my life back in line before school started. So I changed my ticket to the 2nd. Kel and Eric were also flying home in the evening, but we decided to explore Philly before we all flew out.
Unfortunately, it was raining, so our plans to get bikes and ride around the city were a no go. Instead we just ubered the whole thing.
I took us awhile to get out the door, but the last 20 minutes were my fault- I lost my apple watch.
I knew I didn't leave it in New York because I remembered taking it off to shower while in Philly.
I checked my bags and repacked 3 times. I moved everything and traced my steps. I had a feeling Kelley may have grabbed it on accident (she also has one) and packed it. She looked in her suitcase and couldn't find it.
I knew it was somewhere in Vanita's room and she would eventually find it.
Eric's main thing he wanted to do in Philly was see the Rocky steps. So we started there.
I started first but naturally Eric caught up.
(I'm the purple thing on the right)
Next we hit up the LOVE statue that was mostly for me.
That was on the top of my list when I nannied in Philly 2 years ago,
but we never got around to getting ready and driving into Philly during the day time
(had to have good light).
Thankfully I FINALLY made it there.
After the love statue, we went into reading terminal for lunch (per my request).
It was another thing I heard about while nannying but never got around to.
It's basically a food court full of Philly native restaurants.
It had literally every kind of food you can imagine, plus A TON of yummy desserts.
We did a few laps around the whole thing before deciding on where to eat.
Next was the liberty bell.
I was going to dip out before, to catch a lyft to the airport,
but ended up having enough time.
TBH, I don't think most people really know what the significance of the bell is.
I looked it up and i got multiple different reasons.
But it's cool and in the middle of independence hall, so people all gather to see.
As we were driving back to the temple parking garage to get my luggage,
I got a text saying my flight was delayed.
Instant stress.
I had a connecting flight in Houston, and was so concerned I wouldn't find my connecting gate in enough time. If all went as planned, I would have 20 minutes before boarding. So it was doable, just depended on the plane landing, and letting us off in time.
When I printed off my ticket, I upgraded my seat so I would be at the very front of the plane (first one off). I also made sure to change, so I was comfy and ready to run if need be.
(my dad missed a connecting flight and they had no mercy, so I knew it was all up to me).
I called my dad. He said worst comes to worst I just sleep in Houston and catch the next flight.
I called Taylor and he also tried to reassure me.
I know I'm being a diva, but I didn't want to come home later. I wanted to stick to my plan.
I sat at my gate and ate my Levain cookie.
Then I got another text.
Flight delayed another 40 minutes.
Now I would have 10 minutes before boarding ENDED IF we landed right on time.
At this point I was ticked.
I realized I'd rather just sleep at Vanita's again and fly out tomorrow than stress for 5 hours and miss my flight.
The flight was delayed again and there was no way I could make it.
My dad had mercy on me, and helped me get a new plane ticket.
Total 180 in my emotions.
I made it home by 11 and was a very happy camper.
Shout out to dads.
And shoutout to Vanita of course for hosting us all week.
Oh ps, Kelley ended up having my watch in her purse.
We were now in the same terminal so I grabbed it before our flights both left.
Everything worked out.

0 comments:
Post a Comment