Girls camp

3 years ago I interpreted for a deaf girl in my parents stake, attending her first year of girls camp! This past week I interpreted the same girl's 4th year! Let's reminisce for a second. 



Funny huh. 


Girls camp started for everyone on Wednesday, but the 4th years have to go on an overnight, backpacking hike the day before. So Tuesday morning I got up at 6 and headed to the stake center. I ended up driving 2 girls up, which actually ended up being nice having my own car up there. The lead car of our caravan was super slow, so I had to learn how to drive a little below the speed limit. We finally made it to the start of the hike, with most of us feeling a little carsick from the rough roads. (I was bummed to find out we wouldn't have any service)

The hike itself was super easy. Our only set back was when we got a little lost. The YCLs were leading the hike but they got so far ahead that we couldn't see them. There was a fork in the road, so we all stopped and the leaders split to find them. We eventually did and all made it to camp. 

We had way too much time on our hands and were kind of bored. In those 5 hours before dinner, we explored near the creek, had a dance party and just sat around and talked. 

One of the main leaders, sister Garns had me cracking up the whole time. 


She told me on their honeymoon, their car got on fire (all the wedding gifts, money, guitar, clothes for week, EVERYTHING was lost in the fire). Then she ended her story with, "we had the HOTTEST honeymoon". Hahahahaha. 
The girls taught her how to "dab". The first time she smacked her nose and the second she said "dab a dab a dooooo". Also her whip was on point. She's so funny. Probably the highlight of the hike. 


I was kind of miserable the rest of the evening. My nose was a fountain and I felt kinda weak from not eating enough. Plus I was missing a certain someone. 

I fell asleep really well but woke up every half hour after midnight. At 4 am, we had some coyote visitors howling at eachother. I think they were getting ready to hunt or something because they were really fired up. 


Wednesday 

I was really happy when the sun came up. I could finally get out of bed and stop forcing myself to sleep. 

The hike back out was a little harder since it was mostly up hill. There was a girl really struggling and about to cry, so I took her pack. I was proud of myself for being able to carry the extra weight! We became good friend by the end of camp, so id say that was our bonding moment. 

All the 4th years (plus leaders) 



My car was DISGUISTING! So Ashley wrote love notes 

Once we finally made it to our cars, it was quite the trek making it to main camp. The drive was two hours to the pizza place for lunch. In between we had to stop for the bathroom and wait for everyone to load up on treats. 
The pizza place was super good and a cute place but we were stuck there forever so a leader could take care of her flat tire. 

Real talk here. I was so miserable Tuesday night. I decided (and prayed) that if I wasn't feeling better when we made it to main camp, I was going home. Well it was meant for me to stay because by the time we made it there, I was substantly better! 

The shower and seeing my mom and al (plus my dad setting up camp) also really helped!






That night they introduced the camp theme of temples, and a few people shared their testimonies/experiences with the temple. Then we had "singing trees" and ended with the traditional camp songs.
Then the wards split off and played games and had their own devotional. While I was interpreting the games, Taylor had a brilliant idea of talking on the phone. I dipped out of the games a little early. ;)

I kinda had the option of where I wanted to sleep (with the deaf girl and her group, the deaf girl's ward leaders or my home ward leaders). My mom told me I could sleep with their ward leaders and I'm so glad I did. They were SO FUN. We would all stay up and talk/laugh for at least an extra hour every night.



Thursday

By the time you reach your 4th year, the "activities" are up to you. They are the same thing every year, so they don't really have to go if they don't want to. Plus they have finished all their certification. I wanted to go on another hike along with Alie and my mom but Cassidy's leader made her go to her scheduled activity. It consisted of CPR training, ziplining, then quilting. I didn't really care to zipline because it could barely hold the petite girls.

The rest of the day was spent preparing skits. Each ward was given a gospel theme, and then they just went to town. I am a little biased, but my group did the best!! They had subtle pop culture things thrown in that really made it a hoot.

That evening, my mom and I snuck into the cook's cabin (3/4s of the cooks are in my family ward) and took a real shower. It was the best!!
Then I spent the rest of the evening talking on the phone with Taylor.

D.E.A.R time (drop everything and read) 



Friday

Last day. I was probably more excited than I should have been.
Per tradition, we woke up a little extra early, and went on a mini hike to a secluded place for the "stake president's devotional". This part was always the highlight of camp for me. I loved being out in actual nature and enjoying the peace and quiet (everyone has to be reverent).

After we did the notorious wall. There is a 10 foot wall that all the girls have to get over. It is quite terrifying and amazing to watch. Every girl always makes it over and it builds team work. There is always that one girl that is SUPER athletic and just pulls everyone over the wall.

Then we wrote letters to missionaries (I mostly just wrote DJ a like pick me up), then did archery. Ash was my partner in crime. We joked that if it made it on the target, it was a bulls eye!



The rest of the day was spent with each ward's bishops, "bishops night". "my ward" played games, one including water guns which was very refreshing. Also shoutout to my mom for bringing me a DP. best DP I've ever had.

Dinner was quite lively. Some girls found a huge frog and scared half of camp with it.


The last night we always have testimony meeting with each ward. So from 7-9 all of camp has to be quiet. I was stressin a little. Alie and I planned to drive to the cabin after testimony meeting. I knew if we left around 9 we would be fine but my ward didn't even START testimonies til 8! Yikes! Near the end, I was thinking, okay we will be fine. We are good on time. Then one leader went around the whole circle, sharing what she loves about everyone. Then continued to talk about her junior high experience. It was really heart felt and sweet of her, but I was watching my clock (not really I was interpreting and couldn't see anyway). Thankfully we still finished at 9:20. Then the bishop said, oh I need to hurry and move my car because they SHUT THE GATE AT 9! Yikes!!!
I booked it back to alie's camp and sped her along. Thankfully we made it out.

tbh, I was a little nervous about driving on the dirt road. I had a feeling that if I drove the speed limit, I would be able to see the deer in advance. I'm so glad I listened to the prompting. We saw 3 deer (2 in the middle of the street) and I was able to stop well in advance because I was going slow enough.
We made it to the cabin around 10:20, chatted with Nate, SHOWERED, accidentally woke up dad with the fire alarm, ate popcorn, and caught up on our social media.
My fam was flying out Saturday night for Utah. I was slightly worried about having enough time to unpack, get my car washed, do laundry, repack and see Taylor.
I was happy we left camp early. We made it in time and I wasn't too frazzled.


Saturday
We woke up at 7:30, then hit the road. Alie is a fun travel companion. Mostly because she is one of my favorite people.

I did all my little errands before my trip, then met up with Taylor for some Costa Vida. It was also National Tortilla Day so we got discounted food anyway!

Around 6, we made the trek to the airport and flew to Utah. There was like no one on the plane. It was kinda cool. 




We landed around 11 their time. I think we still stayed up pretty late, getting situated and chilling in the hotel.


Sunday

We flew up to Utah for Conrad's baby blessing. That also meant there would be a luncheon afterwards. Mom and Alie went over to Morgan's fairly early to help her. Alie mostly just held Conrad and fell asleep (#winning). Nate and I were awoken a little early to go help because they were running behind. We got ready real fast and headed over there.

Conrad's baby blessing was so sweet. It was really cool to see Payson bless him. Even though it didn't directly relate to me, I felt a deeper connection with Payson in that moment.



The luncheon was great. Initially I hid out with Morgan and Conrad and got some extra time with them. It was nice to spend one-on-one with Morgan because we never really have that anymore.



After the luncheon, we visited my grandma. Every time she's been, she's just kind of in a daze. We are lucky if she says one word. This time, she was hilarious and she had emotion! I'm so glad we visited her and saw one of her good days. 





We flew out that night (24 hour trip) and got back to life. I stayed up a bit too late but it was worth it. 




I didn't really tell anyone that day, but it was also JaKelle's 4 year anniversary of passing away. Even after 4 years, it's still a rough day. I had mixed emotions of sadness and gratitude for the growth I've made from such a low, hard point. I wanted to be alone so I could have time to reflect but I didn't really get it. Which was maybe okay. #teamjakelle






I'm going to add more pictures of the luncheon for myself to have, but feel free to stop looking now. 






We are all obsessed with Conrad. 







CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top