Car Accidents- Don't Do Them.

Update on my life: I got in a car accident yesterday. It was terrifying, and something I want to forget, but I figured I should document it because it is a part of life. Although it was a traumatizing day, it was such a spiritually high day because of all the tender mercies and blessings we received. 

Blessing #1- Vanita and I were able to go to the temple that morning. I received an answer to something that had been on my mind, and and felt really peaceful. 



After our temple trip, we went to Gecko Grill and had some nice chats about boys, and life. Then we decided to drive back to Vanita's house so she could change her clothes. We were on Greenfield and Baseline, and needed to drive 6 miles, and I could have taken a million roads to get there. 

We went up Val Vista and I was trying to turn left onto Southern. As I was starting to actually turn, Vanita told me to stop. I said, "it's fine Vanita" thinking she meant there were cameras in the intersection. Then I realized a car gunned it to make it through the light. At that point, I felt like I just had to keep turning my wheel. In my head, I thought, oh we won't get hit! It will be okay, and then bam! We felt the impact and the car spun and everything went black. 

I had so much adrenaline, I tried to drive the car so it could move out of the street but it wouldn't move. You could definitely say I was in shock. I looked over at Vanita and saw she wasn't bleeding all over like movies portray. I tried to ask if she was okay and she was responsive but she wasn't really sure. 

Blessing #2- Neither Vanita, the other driver or I were seriously hurt. 

I called 9-1-1. I'm amazed that I could talk to the operator at all. Looking back, that part is kind of hazy. 

Blessing #3- One of the witnesses was a paramedic. He ran over and made sure we were okay. He was so calm and reassured us we were going to be okay. Funny story: The guy asked Vanita how she was and she said, "I feel like I just got hit by a ton of bricks". Maybe it was one of those "had to be there moments". 

I finally got a hold of my dad and through sobs, told him I got in an accident. His phone lost service and that's all he heard. Later I found out he was driving to Payson to meet with a client and he lost service. He turned around and rushed over. I called my mom 3 times and then she finally picked up. 

There were so many kind people that stopped and talked to us and tried to make sure we were okay. 3 ward members stopped and I got a few texts from people that saw it happen. 

My sweet family friend, Jamie drove over to give me a hug. My mom knew she couldn't get there as quick, so she sent our dear friend in the mean time. Jamie just gave me the biggest hug and let me sob.

I wasn't crying for myself, I was crying because I was so sorry for Vanita, and so thankful she wasn't more hurt. I just kept imagining what else could have happened, and it broke my heart. I was so sorry it happened, but SO thankful we were okay. To say I was a mess is an understatement. I was a wreck. Vanita was really calm. 

The police eventually came over and told me I got the ticket. I was kind of mad she never asked my point of view, but I guess with left turns, the blame always goes on that driver (even though he ran the red). Fun fact though- the other driver told me this has happened to him many times. Ummm what?? Okay?






Blessing #4- Now that I've looked at the pictures, we are so lucky we continued to turn. He was driving an SUV and going pretty fast. He could have hit us straight on and that impact would have been even worst. We are also so lucky the tire was the worse of the impact and not the door. 

Blessing #5- We spun just enough to get out of the intersection, without hitting any other cars behind the line. 

Eventually they let us leave so we could get checked out at the hospital. Before pulling out of the parking lot, I knew we needed to say a prayer of gratitude that we were protected. Through sobs, we said a prayer thanking our Father in Heaven for watching over us. 


Blessing #6- They got us in quick, and we had good service. All of our nurses and doctors were so kind. We felt like we were in an episode of Greys Anatomy. All of our doctors were pretty cute. 

Unfortunately, Vanita tore a ligament and has to use a sling for 4 weeks. Fortunately, she won't need surgery. The whole day Vanita was super optimistic, even when they told her she tore her ligament, she said, "im fine". We were like Vanita!! You are not fine! 





She is still a model even when she feels like she's dying. 




We were so dead by the end of the day. 

I almost passed out 3 times once I got home, but once I ate, I didn't feel as weak. 

My sweet boy came and made me feel more calm and at peace. 

Now we are on day 2 and feeling worse, but we are surviving. :) 

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Im so glad you are okay! I was surprised you didnt text me to tell me about this. But you are lucky; I think God may have a crush on you :p

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top